Spicy Black Eyed Peas Soup
Last night, I made a black eyed peas soup. I was so happy to come home and finally have this soup after a long day at work. Quick and easy delicious recipe! The black eyed peas can be found at any grocery store and its great for a cold wintery night. It also is a good source of protein and fiber.
For details on nutrition facts, visit link
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
2-3 cups water
2 tsp olive oil
1-2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tbsp chickpea/gram/besan flour
salt to taste
1. Soak the black eyed peas or beans *overnight* in a slow cooker.
2. Heat a pan with olive oil. Add cumin seeds, poppy seeds, and dry red chili pepper (optional). Cook until the cumin seeds appear darker brown in color.
3. Add garlic, ginger, and green chili to the pan. Cook until garlic appears golden-brown.
4. Add onions and tomatoes if you would like them in your soup. Cook for 2 minutes.
I usually just add them at the end, but if you want it incorporated in your soup, add it before you add the spices.
5. Add the turmeric powder and red chili powder.
6. First add the beans, followed by water.
7. Add salt to taste and lemon juice.
8. For a thicker consistency, follow these steps:
In a separate bowl, add some flour in 1/4 cup *cold* water. Stir the mixture.
Add the mixture to the pan with beans
Garnish with cilantro or parsley!